Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA
Ph. D., Mechanical Engineering, projected May 2020
- Experimentally studying the physics of animal swarm behavior and insects as active matter
- Developing technology to raise black soldier fly larvae as a sustainable protein source
- Thesis: “Biomechanics of black soldier fly larvae”
The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art, New York, NY
M.E., Mechanical Engineering, December 2015
Thesis: “Development and Validation of a Particle Image Velocimetry System for Measuring Laminar and Turbulent Pipe Flow Fields”
B.E., Mechanical Engineering, May 2013
Work and Project Experience
NASA Langley Research Center, Hampton, VA
June 2014 – August 2014
Flow Physics and Control Branch
Langley Aerospace Research Student Scholars program
- Studied transition to turbulence in a boundary layer over a swept flat plate with a backward facing step in a wind tunnel
- Presented the results in a branch meeting and documented results in a technical report
Fraunhofer Center for Manufacturing Innovation, Boston, MA
June 2013 – January 2014
Mechanical Engineering Intern
- Performed process control to determine parameters for a filament stretcher and presented results
- Worked with a team of engineers and surgeons to design a surgical endoscope attachment
- Improved accuracy of a cymbal casting process by designing a vibration damper
Center for Innovation and Applied Technology
September 2012 – May 2013
The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art, New York, NY
- Collaborated with a group to study whale hearing to improve Sonar reception
- Performed vibrational analysis on the tympanic part of the temporal bone from a whale ear and determined areas for further analysis
Consolidated Edison, New York, NY
November 2012 – March 2013
Engineering Aide, Maintenance Department, East River Generating Station
- Prepared reports on plant outages and tracked work orders
Fellowships and Awards
- Georgia Institute of Technology President’s Fellowship, 2015-2018
- Feeding Fly Larvae Form a Fountain” at the Society for Integrative and Comparative Biology 2019. January 5, 2019.
- One of two winners of outstanding poster award (from 16 posters) for “Self-mixing of fly larvae during feeding” at The Geilo School 2017: Physics Inspired by Living Matter. March 24, 2017.
- Second place oral presentation (from a pool of 30 participants) for “Squishy physics: Optimizing Eating Rates in Black Soldier Fly Larvae” with undergraduate student Chris Johnson, 2016 S.U.R.E Research Symposium. Awarded an iPad Air 2. July 28, 2016.
- 2016 Junior Scientist Travel Award to Active and Smart Matter: A New Frontier for Science and Engineering, June 20-23, 2016
Society of Scientific Communication, Teaching Assistant, Georgia Institute of Technology, Fall 2016
- Assisting with an experimental workshop for graduate students and postdoctoral researchers on working with the media
Research Project Lab, Teaching Assistant, Georgia Institute of Technology, Spring 2016.
- Supervised senior students during a biology research project lab studying fire ants
- Aided students with literature search, experimental design, and report writing
- Received a 5.0/5.0 instructor rating from students
Introduction to Fluid Mechanics, Teaching Practicum instructor, Georgia Institute of Technology, Fall 2015.
- Shishkov, O., Hu, M., Johnson, C., Hu, D. L Feeding Fly Larvae Form a Fountain. Poster presented at the Society for Integrative and Comparative Biology, Tampa, FL. January 4, 2019 (Invited).
- Shishkov, O., Hu, M., Hu, D. L. Fly Larvae Feed by Forming a Flowing Fountain. APS DFD 2018 Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA, November 19, 2018.
- Shishkov, O., Fuentes-Cabrera, M., Hu, D. L. Active mixing in aggregations of black soldier fly larvae. Poster presented at the 2018 CNMS User Meeting, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, August 13, 2018.
- Shishkov, O., Hu, D. L Competition of feeding fly larvae causes active mixing. iPoLS 2018 Annual Meeting, Rice University, June 24, 2018.
- Shishkov, O., Hu, D. L Collective motion of fly larvae during feeding. 11th Annual Meeting on Soft Materials, Emory University, May 23, 2018.
- Shishkov, O., Hu, D. L Collective forces of black soldier fly larvae. American Physical Society March Meeting, Los Angeles, CA , March 8, 2018.
- Shishkov, O., Hu, D. L. Fly larvae mix to increase eating rates. 2017 AIChE Annual Meeting, Minneapolis, MN., November 1, 2017.
- Shishkov, O., Hu, D. L. Fly Larvae Mix to Increase Eating Rates. Society of Engineering Science 54th Technical Meeting. Boston, MA, July 26-28, 2017.
- Shishkov, O., Hu, D. L. Fly larvae mix to increase eating rates. 2017 Active Materials Project Summer School. Georgetown University, Washington, DC, June 11, 2017.
- Shishkov, O., Hu, D. L. Active mixing of black soldier fly larvae during feeding. The 10th Southeast Meeting on Soft Materials. Atlanta, GA, Friday, May 12, 2017.
- Shishkov, O., Hu, D. L. Self-mixing of fly larvae during feeding. The Geilo School 2017: Physics Inspired by Living Matter. Geilo, Norway, March 20-30, 2017.
- Shishkov, O., Johnson, C., Hu, D. L. Self-mixing of fly larvae during feeding. American Physical Society March Meeting. New Orleans, LA, March 13-17, 2017.
- Shishkov, O., Johnson, C., Zhang, B., Hu, D. L., Self-mixing of fly larvae during feeding. Division of Fluid Dynamics annual meeting. Portland, Oregon, November 20-22, 2016.
- Shishkov, O., Johnson, C., Hu, D. L. Active mixing increases feeding rate of black soldier fly larvae. Active and Smart Matter: A New Frontier for Science and Engineering. Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY, June 20-23, 2016.
- Shishkov, O, Hu, D. L. “Active mixing of black soldier fly larvae”, Soft Matter & Lunch Event. Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, April 2016.
- Shishkov, O., Hu, M., Johnson C., Hu, D. L. Black soldier fly larvae feed by forming a fountain around food. Accepted at Journal of the Royal Society Interface.
- Shishkov, O., Hu, M., Johnson C., Zhang, B., Hu, D. L. (2018). Black Soldier Fly larvae consume food by actively mixing. In the 7th International Symposium on Aero-aqua Bio-Mechanisms, Tokyo.
- Eppink, J. L., Shishkov, O., Wlezien, R. W., King, R. A., & Choudhari, M. M. (2016). The Effect of Acoustic Forcing on Instabilities and Breakdown in Swept-Wing Flow Over a Backward-Facing Step. In 54th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting (p. 2063).
- Shishkov, O., Hu, D. L. (2018). “Aerating bed for black soldier fly larvae.” U. S. Provisional Patent Application 62/627,355, May 4, 2018
- April 13, 2018. Science Friday. “The Very Hungry Maggot” by Luke Groskin and Lauren J. Young.
- February 14, 2018. Gizmodo. “Send This Video of Maggots Eating a Heart-Shaped Donut to Your Love” by Ryan F. Mandelbaum.
I have mentored 17 undergraduate students and a high school student, including:
- Two Presidential Undergraduate Research Award (PURA) fellowship winners.
- Two students funded through Summer Undergraduate Research in Engineering/Sciences (SURE), a research program for under-represented students in STEM
Fluid Mechanics: Particle Image Velocimetry, Hot Wire Anemometry, ANSYS Fluent, Hypermesh
CAD: SolidWorks, Pro Engineer, AutoCAD
Electronics: Arduino, Digital Logic Design
Programming: C/C++, Java, LabView, MATLAB, Python